For media and press enquiries please contact email@example.com
The Mostar Summer Youth Program (MSYP) is a free summer educational programme that provides youth aged 14-19 from Mostar and the surrounding area with opportunities to improve their self-confidence and key skills. The programme empowers participants in their educational, social and professional ambitions, by connecting them with organisations and businesses working in and around Mostar. MSYP aspires to be a hub for youth leadership, volunteerism, and entrepreneurship.
- MSYP was founded by Sho Igawa, Dilia Zwart and Freya Nowell in 2014. Vlatka Lučić joined the team in 2015.
- MSYP first ran in 2014 and has run every summer since.
- The summer Programme consists of 3 weeks of workshops, classes and events. They are held at UWC Mostar, American Corner Mostar, OKC Abrašević and other venues around the city.
- We also organise some other events and courses throughout the year.
- MSYP is independent. It is not affiliated with any political, religious or corporate organisations. MSYP is not a UWC short course.
- MSYP is free for participants. The founders and staff are volunteers who take no payment for their time.
- MSYP is funded by donations and benefits in kind from individuals, local companies, grant-making organisations and NGOs.
- The funds are used primarily for venues, food and water during events, and materials for the classes and workshops.
- The Programme costs about KM14000 to run. This varies year by year, depending on the activities we organise.
- This figure includes benefits in kind, such as accommodation. Staff pay for their own flights and transport to Mostar – this is also included in the total cost.
- We publish our accounts to maintain complete transparency about funding arrangements.
Participants and Staff
- The summer Programme duration is 3 weeks, with classroom lessons, interactive workshops and events running from Monday to Saturday every week.
- Participants are aged 14 to 19.
- Participants are required to submit an application form. Participants are selected based on the quality of their applications (priority is given to applicants from Mostar).
- In 2016 the Programme received 130 participant applications.
- In 2016 the Programme was attended by 70 participants.
- From 2014 to 2016, a total of 160 participants have attended the Programme.
- 90% of participants are from Mostar; 10% are from other cities in BiH or from other countries.
- In 2016 the Programme had 19 regular staff: 8 from BiH, 11 from other countries including Argentina, Canada, Netherlands, Somalia, United Kingdom and USA.
- In 2016, about 20% of the staff were former participants of the Programme.